Many Illinois residents rely on Alka-Seltzer to help eliminate their cold and cough symptoms, but one woman says that the medication caused such severe side effects that she was in a coma for 31 days. The victim, who purchased the dangerous product in January 2013, said she was seeking relief from her cold symptoms, so she took the Alka-Selzer product before going to bed. She says she developed a serious reaction that started with blisters in her mouth and led to a horrific coma and illness that left her with much of her skin missing.
One way that young children learn is by putting things, including small toys, in their mouths. Unfortunately, certain toys can be extremely dangerous if swallowed. Last year, a popular small toy that expands dramatically in water was recalled after an 8-month-old girl swallowed one and needed surgery. While that toy, Dunecraft Water Balz, is no longer on the market, similar absorbent polymer balls are on the market, and they could be dangerous for Naperville children.