PLEASE NOTE: In response to Covid-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us remotely via telephone or video conferencing.

Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid - Naperville Personal Injury Lawyer
Illinois Personal Injury Law Firm

Free Consultations:

No Fee Unless You Win | Phones Answered 24 Hours A Day

Map & Directions
Email Our Firm
X

30 Second Online Case Analysis

Were You Injured in IL?
Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid - Naperville Personal Injury Lawyer
Illinois Personal Injury Law Firm

Free Consultations: 630-848-9294

No Fee Unless You Win | Phones Answered 24 Hours A Day

1730 PARK STREET SUITE 209 NAPERVILLE, IL 60563

When Winning Matters, Your Lawyer Matters

We’ve Recovered More Than

$

For Our Clients

Attorneys
  1. You Are Here: Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury And Death
  4.  » Should my landlord worry about carbon monoxide?

Should my landlord worry about carbon monoxide?

Landlords in Illinois are responsible for providing a safe, healthy environment for their tenants to live in. This means taking reasonable measures to prevent a dangerous living situation, to maintain the premises and to repair known hazards. One of the common home dangers you and other residents may not think about is carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to the Mayo Clinic, carbon monoxide is a gas that is released into the air when certain fuels, such as propane, natural gas, charcoal and wood, are burned for heating, cooking and other uses. Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and invisible. When released outside or into a properly ventilated space, this gas dissipates harmlessly. However, carbon monoxide buildup can be deadly if your ventilation system is compromised. For example, if you turn on your gas fireplace without knowing the flue is blocked, carbon monoxide can build up in your home without you knowing.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include a dull headache, dizziness, confusion, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath and loss of consciousness. Often, victims succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep. You are advised to get outside immediately and seek medical attention if you suspect you and your family have been exposed to harmful levels of carbon monoxide, as exposure can result in serious health complications.

In addition to providing functioning smoke detectors, your landlord should ensure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home. Property owners may be held liable for injuries or fatalities resulting from negligent property management.

Archives

FindLaw Network
Rated By | Super Lawyers
Google Reviews
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Avvo Rating | 10.0 Superb | Top Attorney Personal Injury
America's Top 100 Attorneys | Lifetime Achievement | Top 100

More of Our Results

Take Action Now! No Fees Unless You Win!

Click to send your case details: