At the Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid, we are all too aware that people in Illinois and elsewhere get hurt all the time in falls. Whether you slip on wet tile at the grocery store or fall off a ladder at work, this is one way you can get seriously injured – or worse – when you least expect it.
In fact, falls happen so often across the country that the Fall Prevention Center of Excellence has designated September 23 through 29 as Fall Prevention Awareness Week. You might consider the following solutions to prevent serious injuries in a fall:
- Always use a stepping stool or ladder to reach a high place, and never step up on an unstable or wheeled object, such as an office chair.
- Clean up clutter, cords and other obstacles from walkways.
- Use extreme caution when working from heights, stepping on broken pavement or walking near a drop.
- Watch out for folded mats, wet floors, ice patches and other things you can trip or slip on.
- Wear non-slip shoes in adverse weather or if you work on slick surfaces.
- Ask your employer to provide education on avoiding falls in the workplace and to supply safety equipment when necessary.
When you are aware of your surroundings, observant of safety measures and proactive in addressing risks, you may protect yourself, your co-workers and others from injuries. Our premises liability page explains your rights if you are injured due to someone else’s negligence, such as an employer or property owner.