Young woman sitting at a wood table working with a laptop

Fighting To Get You Exceptional Results

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Pedestrian Accidents
  4.  | Who will compensate me if I was a pedestrian hit by a car?

Who will compensate me if I was a pedestrian hit by a car?

On Behalf of | Mar 16, 2015 | Pedestrian Accidents

If you are an injured pedestrian who was hit by a car, you should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights. Your attorney will help you make sure your medical bills get paid and that you get compensated fairly for your injuries.

As a pedestrian, you have a couple of options for recovery after being hit by a car. The most common method of recovery is to make a claim with the at-fault driver’s car insurer for your injuries. Your pedestrian injury attorney can open a claim with the insurance company and make sure all of your past and future medical bills, wage loss, and pain and suffering is fairly compensated. Pedestrians can suffer very serious injuries when hit by a car, so it’s important that your attorney helps you receive all necessary medical treatment before making the insurance claim.

Unfortunately, not every pedestrian injured by a car can get the at-fault driver’s insurance information. Many times, the driver of the car will flee the scene in a hit-and-run. If you were injured by a hit-and-run driver, you’ll still be able to recover for your injuries by making a claim under the uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage of your car insurance policy even though you weren’t in your car. Your UM/UIM coverage will also be used if the at-fault driver’s insurance policy isn’t enough to adequately compensate you for your injuries.

It’s important to talk to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident. Your attorney will help you create a plan for your medical treatment and bills, and make sure that you have some form of compensation available to you. Insurance companies have well-trained adjusters that will try to get you to settle your claim as quickly as possible for an unreasonable amount of money. The best way to protect yourself is to have an attorney fighting for you.

The Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid continues to handle pedestrian accidents, car accidents, bike accidents, medical malpractice, and wrongful death cases in Chicago, Naperville, Aurora, Joliet, Bolingbrook, and DuPage, Kane, Will, Cook Counties, as well as the entire Chicagoland area.