Young woman sitting at a wood table working with a laptop

Fighting To Get You Exceptional Results

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  | Can I switch workers’ compensation attorneys?

Can I switch workers’ compensation attorneys?

On Behalf of | Jan 16, 2015 | Workers' Compensation

There is no obligation that you stay with your current attorney if you are unsatisfied with his or her legal services. With that being said, there are a few things you should keep in mind when looking for other representation.

Lawyers are subject to ethics rules, one of which prohibits communications with people known to be represented by counsel concerning the subject of the communication. However, the rule does not prohibit individuals from obtaining a second opinion regarding their workers’ compensation claim from another experienced attorney.

After obtaining a second opinion from a lawyer about what should be done on your case, the attorney cannot begin working on your claim until you discharge your current counsel. This can be done by a written letter terminating the attorney-client relationship. Once your prior attorney is discharged, you are entitled to have a copy of your full file.

When you do obtain different representation, there will likely be no change to your current fee structure. Your prior attorney will be entitled to some portion of the contingency fee with your new attorney, but it generally has no effect as it relates to your workers’ compensation case. Your new attorney can then file a substitution of attorney’s form to document your change of counsel with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission.

If you are in need of a second opinion regarding your workers’ compensation claim, please feel free to contact our office. The attorneys at Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid are committed to representing people who have been seriously injured and incur significant medical expenses as a result of work related injuries. Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid continue to handle workers’ compensation claims and all types of other personal injury cases in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Will and Kendall Counties and all throughout the Chicagoland area.