Young woman sitting at a wood table working with a laptop

Fighting To Get You Exceptional Results

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | I was in a car accident. Should I sign forms from the insurance company?

I was in a car accident. Should I sign forms from the insurance company?

On Behalf of | Nov 3, 2014 | Car Accidents

If you were injured in a car accident, do NOT sign anything sent to you from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Instead, you should consult with a personal injury attorney to discuss your case and all of your available options.

After a car accident, an adjuster for the at-fault driver’s insurance company will contact any possible victims in order to estimate or settle the possible losses. If you were hurt in a car crash, the adjuster will push for you to sign a release of medical records. This release will allow the insurance company to order all of your medical records, even for treatment unrelated to the crash. Usually, the adjuster will say that your signature is needed in order to process your claim properly. However, this is absolutely not true. You do NOT have to sign anything! Your personal injury attorney can filter through your medical records and send the adjuster only what is relevant to the claim.

The adjuster will also likely try to force you into signing a Release of All Claims as quickly as possible, in order to save his company money. Usually, the adjuster will avoid calling it a “Release” and instead refer to it as a “necessary document” that’s a part of your claim. Remember, the adjuster works for an insurance company and does not care about your rights. It’s important to talk to a personal injury attorney in order to better understand what you’re entitled to and to ensure that you receive fair compensation.

Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid continues to handle all types of car, motorcycle and truck accident cases along with wrongful death and other personal injury cases for clients in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Will, and Kendall Counties, including Chicago, Wheaton, Joliet, Geneva and the entire of the Chicagoland area.