Young woman sitting at a wood table working with a laptop

Fighting To Get You Exceptional Results

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | What Happens If a Drunk Driver Injures Me In a Car Accident?

What Happens If a Drunk Driver Injures Me In a Car Accident?

On Behalf of | Aug 7, 2014 | Car Accidents

If you were injured in a car accident by a drunk driver, you have the legal right to recover money damages for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, disability, disfigurement and future medical care. You may also be able to collect “punitive damages”, which are additional money damages due to the drunk driver’s reckless or “willful” conduct of driving while intoxicated and harming you. You have the same rights if you were injured by a driver who was under the influence of drugs or other illegal substances.

Even if the driver who caused the crash was drunk or under the influence, that driver’s insurance company will still hire lawyers to defend that driver and attempt to prevent you from receiving your full recovery. Thus, it is important to hire a qualified personal injury attorney quickly after your crash involving a drunk driver.

Sometimes the drunk driver’s insurance policy isn’t large enough to fully compensate you for your losses. In that situation we can help you uncover other options to pay your medical bills, and find additional sources of money recovery, such as uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. You may be able to recover money damages from a bar or some other establishment that over-served the drunk driver causing the intoxication. We will be able to investigate the source of the alcohol, the level of intoxication, and where the intoxication took place. Exploring each of these factors will allow us to recover full and fair compensation to the maximum extent possible.

Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid is experienced in handling cases involving crashes caused by drunk and under the influence drivers. Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid continues to handle all types of car, motorcycle and truck accident cases along with wrongful death and other personal injury cases for clients in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Will, and Kendall Counties, including Chicago, Wheaton, Joliet, Geneva and the entire of the Chicagoland area.