Young woman sitting at a wood table working with a laptop

Fighting To Get You Exceptional Results

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | Who pays my medical bills in a car accident?

Who pays my medical bills in a car accident?

On Behalf of | May 2, 2014 | Car Accidents

If you’re injured in a car accident, your medical bills can become an overwhelming responsibility. Should your car insurance or health insurance pay? What role does the at-fault driver’s insurance company play? Should you pay your bills out-of-pocket?

When involved in a car accident, it is extremely important to contact your car insurance agent immediately since you may have Medical Payments Coverage (MedPay) as part of your car insurance plan. If so, you can submit your medical bills directly to your car insurance company for payment. However, there may be a limit to the amount of MedPay coverage you have available. Once your submitted bills exceed your MedPay limit, your car insurance company will stop paying. At that point, you can submit your bills to your health insurance company. Contact your car insurance agent and ask about adding or increasing your MedPay coverage to protect you and your family.

After an accident, you will most likely be contacted by the other driver’s insurance company offering to pay for your medical bills. However, they will only pay your bills if you agree to sign a Release, limiting the recovery that you may actually be entitled to. Remember, you are under no obligation to talk to the other driver’s insurance company.

When you’re involved in a car accident, you should seek representation for your injuries. The attorneys at Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid evaluate every car accident case to determine what insurance is available to pay your medical bills. We can make sure your bills are properly submitted, and also prevent the other driver’s insurance company from contacting you directly. Statistics show that victims who are represented by an attorney recover more from insurance companies than those who are unrepresented.

The Law Offices of Mathys & Schneid continues to handle all types of car accident, motorcycle accident, truck accident, wrongful death, and other personal injury cases for clients in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Will, and Kendall Counties, including Chicago, Wheaton, Joliet, Geneva and the rest of the Chicagoland area.