According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), commercial truck accidents lead to 5000 fatalities and 150,000 injuries annually on U.S. streets and highways. Almost 25 percent of passenger deaths involve a large truck in the crash. These are alarming statistics, especially considering the role of driver fatigue in many truck accidents.
Sleeping at the Wheel: Facts, Figures and the Rules
Truck driver fatigue has a huge impact on crashes and injuries:
- As recently as 1998, 98 percent of two-vehicle crash fatalities involved a truck
- Large trucks are two times more likely than passenger vehicles to be in a crash
- 25 percent of deaths of passenger vehicle occupants are due to multi-vehicular collisions involving a large truck
Recent federal proposals include suggested rule changes to help combat the rising injuries and deaths from driver fatigue in commercial trucking.
- Drivers must rest 9-12 continual hours each day
- Additional 2-3 hour break requirements
- Commercial drivers limited to a 60-hour work week
- Electric On-board Recording devices for regional and long-haul operators
A Naperville Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident with a large commercial truck, contact an experienced personal injury attorney. A personal injury lawyer can assess your case and help you get the compensation for lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering you deserve. For more information, contact an attorney today.